Here we go.

05 February 2013

#1 Gal

The phones don't always work in the canyon, the signal is either weak or non-existent.  Transmissions are spotty, as is the information that reaches us.

We know that Aunt Pati was put in or fell into a coma, but that she could still hear.  Her sister Marcie was on her way to the airport to pick up other relatives.  She called from the road and advised that we call the ranch and say some words to Pati, that they'd hold the receiver up to her ear.  

It's a difficult phone call to make, but I did not waver.  What I wanted to say was brief, not flowery or ridiculous.  There was plenty of time where I said nothing and just listened to her breathing apparatus.

It was my precious uncle, his voice so quiet and tinny, who eked out a 'thank you for calling,' that has sent me into this numb dream state that I'm in now.  I just don't know what to do for anybody and I feel completely useless to anyone.

I'm at work, I can't work.  So, I started reading this blog.  It has been a wonderful distraction and it's lovely.  I adore the way it's written and the subject matter is great.  It has helped me to be able to sit here all day.  I need my family so bad right now.


 photo a90969dc-8d9f-4562-bdda-1cd8b7adc03d_zps88b99cd1.jpg



 photo 04d55b54-8911-4bd1-8522-0ef2cf1a150c_zpsd40c9d48.jpg

Later...  I just learned that my Aunt passed away yesterday, at sunset.  I'm told it was peaceful.  She was at home surrounded by family & friends.  

What a loss.  I'm so distraught, which I'm certain Pati would not approved of, but there it is.  Later days, Aunt Pati.

5 comments:

nicole said...

I am so sorry to hear this. There are no words. Simply sending you lots of love.

Alannah said...

Seems like there's all sorts of painful, F'ed up energy around. I'm going to say what I said elsewhere - sending you & KMHD loving thoughts. The stoic westerners are jealous of our southern histrionics anyway, so get as distraught as you need to.

AMD & KMHD said...

Gals, thanks. Really.

This morning was the first time in awhile that I felt really good. On my way to work, I floated above Earth into the dark, cold vacuum of space. I smelled the black sizzle of burning metal. I looked down and thought, "HOLY SH" because we get to live here, against all the odds, and we will make it. Some days are better than others, but here we go.

Love y'all.

xx

Britt said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. You're a #1 gal to many of us, too. We are here to take care of each other. Love you.

Blair said...

Beautifully written. You're so strong. So much love to you and Kim.

Blog Archive